Tips for Dishwasher Maintenance
A lot of people greatly depend on their dishwasher as they don’t like washing with hands. The appliance does provide convenience when you have a lot of dirty dishes accumulated at all meal times; common with large families, or have a hectic lifestyle.
To keep the dishwasher in its best condition, it is important to invest in its maintenance. You don’t always need to call a professional appliance repair technician. There are a few simple steps that can be followed on your own and regularly. These will allow to maximize the dishwasher’s work and save you from spending frequently on its repair. You will find that dishwasher maintenance is much less expensive than dishwasher repair.
Here are a few tips so you can carry dishwasher maintenance on your own and avoid calling dishwasher repair services frequently:
- Vinegar is a weak acid that is available in almost all kitchens. You can use it to get the dishwasher clean. It is quite simple. Turn out the bottom of the dishwasher and pour vinegar into it. Set the cycle on low and stop through mid-way. Let the vinegar sit for 15 to 20 minutes to work effectively. Continue the cycle afterwards. You can use vinegar to clean the stainless steel body of the dishwasher too
- Mix the vinegar with water to create a cleaning solution. Next, take a soft toothbrush or cloth and clean off the door seal
- The holes in the spinning arms can become clogged. To clear them, you can use a toothpick or needle-nose pliers. You must be careful so the no scratched are left
- At the bottom of the dishwasher is the drain, which can also become clogged. Food debris and other matter can create a buildup. If this is not cleaned, it not only hinders the performance but may cause damage. To clean the drain, ensure that the dishwasher is unplugged. Remove the screws and the cover from the drain. To keep the debris out of the opening, protect it with something. The larger pieces of debris can be taken out by hand and the rest should be cleaned using a soft cloth or toothbrush. Reassemble the drain
- Fill up the detergent holder and fill it up with tang, powdered lemonade or Crystal Light. Run an empty cycle and this will leave a fresh smell behind as well as power off the mineral deposits
- There is a filter at the bottom of the dishwasher, which is removable. Remove the filter and soak in soapy water. Rinse and place it back in the dishwasher
- If you have a mold problem inside the dishwasher, it can be resolved using bleach. Fill up the detergent holder with bleach and rub an empty cycle. However, don’t use the bleach with other cleaners; especially vinegar. In case the dishwasher interior is made of stainless steel, use the Tang method instead
The more regular is the dishwasher maintenance, the longer will be the life of the appliance. It will also help you save money on dishwasher repair services.